Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

If you have any questions regarding accommodation please check the below frequently asked questions. If you have any further queries please contact our Accommodation Office on 01768 893709 or by email.

Can I Apply for Accommodation?

I live two hours away from College

Askham Bryan College provides residential accommodation for students at a York and Newton Rigg. The accommodation is intended to ease the travel burden on students whose home address is beyond a reasonable daily commute from the College. By this we mean that your home address is usually at least one hour away from College by public or College transport.

I live half an hour from College but feel I have good reason to live in accommodation 

If you live within an hour’s travel from College but feel there are extenuating circumstances which permit admission to College accommodation please get in touch and your application will be referred to the Admissions Panel for consideration.

I want to live in accommodation but can’t afford to pay the fees

The College seeks to make accommodation available to a broad range of students and financial support may be available through means tested bursaries and various scholarships. Information on financial assistance is available on the College website or through student services.


The Booking of Accommodation

When can I apply for accommodation?

A provisional booking for accommodation may be made once you have received a conditional offer of a place on a course of study at College.

How do I apply?

You can apply via the College website once the application process has gone live. After application a security deposit of £300 must be paid.

Do I need to pay anything else? 

Yes, you need to pay the first instalment of the accommodation fee before your room key is issued. The balance is then payable over a further 8 instalments.

What happens to the deposit? 

The deposit is held by the College as a security deposit. If you choose not to move into accommodation this bond is fully refundable.

What happens if I don’t pay the bond and first instalment?

Non-payment of the security deposit means that your application will not be processed. The first instalment must be made in full before you can be given access to a room.

When can I use my room?

Room bookings are for term time only. The accommodation contract clearly states that you will not have access to your room during holiday periods. You may be asked to completely clear your room during the holidays.

What happens if I need to be in College during the holidays?

In exceptional circumstances, at the College’s discretion, it may be possible for the College to offer accommodation to you during a vacation. Any such circumstances must be discussed with and agreed by the Accommodation Manager and Student Services Manager in advance and payment for the accommodation must be made in full in advance of that vacation.

Can I request a specific room?

The College is unable to accept requests for specific rooms. You can express a preference for a type of room and we will endeavour to meet your preference but rooms will be allocated on a first come first served basis.

Who takes priority for room bookings?

Accommodation is allocated on a first come, first served basis, however if accommodation becomes full, priority will be given to students whose home address is most distant from the College.

The Offer of Accommodation

If I have a room in the first year does this mean I am guaranteed one for every year I am at College?

No student can be guaranteed accommodation for the duration of their course. You must re-apply for accommodation every year but providing your bond has not been used to pay any unpaid fees, it can be transferred from one year to the next.

I have applied for a course, why do I need to apply again for accommodation?

The process of application for accommodation is separate from the application for a course; therefore an offer of a place on a course does not guarantee a place in accommodation. You need to apply separately for accommodation.

What happens if I break the rules at College?

Accommodation or the offer of accommodation may be withdrawn with immediate effect should you fail to comply with the student code of conduct and / or residential rules.

Can I stay in accommodation after my course has finished?

No, Accommodation is only available to students enrolled on a course at the College.


Acceptance of Students into College Accommodation

Can anyone stay in accommodation?

No, residence in College accommodation is conditional on you meeting certain criteria.

  • If you are under 18 on 31st August 2020 you must provide details of a responsible adult (normally your parent or guardian) who is contactable at all times when you are resident at the College.
  • You will not be offered accommodation if you are considered to pose a risk to the college community
  • You will not be offered accommodation if you have been previously excluded from any educational institution for behavioural or criminal reasons OR been placed in specialist behaviour management units (e.g. a Pupil Referral Unit) within the last 3 years.
  • You must have the ability to live independently including the ability to self-manage and the capability to comply with the student code of conduct and residential rules.
  • If you are a returning student and have a history of poor behaviour at College resulting in a stage 3 or stage 4 disciplinary during the last three years, your application will be referred to the Admissions Panel and you are unlikely to be granted accommodation. If permitted accommodation you will be placed on a behaviour contract.
  • You must be able to demonstrate an ability to fund your accommodation.
  • You must complete an online application and pay the required deposit.
  • You must have no outstanding debts with the College.
  • There must be acceptable arrangements for the payment for accommodation in place with the College Finance Department prior to the start of the academic year.

You have no criminal record:

  • If you have minor offences you may be permitted accommodation at the College but in all cases a student with a criminal record will be referred to the Admissions Panel.
  • If you have previously been convicted of any unspent criminal offence leading to a custodial sentence you will strictly be prohibited from accommodation.
  • If you have an unspent offence relating to any of the following you will not be permitted accommodation at the college: Physical violence, stalking / harassment, offences leading to being placed on the sex offenders register, and supply or conspiracy to supply or trafficking of drugs.

You are required to complete a medical declaration before moving into accommodation and to disclose any information of a sensitive nature. The College will request that you vacate accommodation if the declaration is incorrect or if your safety or that of others may be at risk.


Overview of the Rules of Residential Accommodation

What happens if I can’t pay for my accommodation?

If you are struggling to pay then speak to Student Support Services and Finance as soon as possible.

What happens if I stop paying for my accommodation?

If you default on payments or fail to comply with any arrangements made for paying your accommodation fees, we may bar access to your accommodation until either payment is received in full, or an acceptable alternative payment schedule is agreed with the Finance department.

What happens if I damage College property?

Any damage caused will be charged to the individual responsible, or group of individuals in the case of communal areas. The College can use the security deposit you have paid to cover any unpaid debts that exist at the end of the academic year.

What if I want to move room?

If you wish to move room you must first discuss this with the Accommodation Manager who will consult with the Student Services Manager and a decision will be made at their discretion. If the new room costs more, a revised invoice will be raised and the extra amount of money due will be requested to be added to any existing payment agreement. If the new room costs less, a credit for the difference will be paid back to you.

Who can come in my room?

Student services staff responsible for residential accommodation may enter your room if they have reasonable cause for concern. Student services staff responsible for residential accommodation and any other staff are, with the express permission of the Principal, permitted to carry out a search of your room if they have reasonable suspicion that stolen property, illegal substances or materials are being stored or consumed contrary to the law or College procedures.

Designated College staff are permitted to undertake routine checks of students’ rooms for the purpose of monitoring damage and any necessary repairs as well as general hygiene.



If my contract includes a catered packager and I don’t spend all the money I have been allocated can I claim it back?

If you have signed a contract which includes catering and you do not use the full allowance allocated to you no refund will be paid back for meals you do not take.

I have chosen to live in a self-catered room, can I still use the Dining Room?

Yes, of course you can.

What catering is provided?

The College will provide such catering provision as required to meet the minimum standards required by the Care Standards Act. During term time breakfast, lunch and dinner is served Monday to Friday and Brunch at the weekends. Opening times are advertised on site.

Can I have self-catered accommodation if I’m under 18?

If you are under 18 you will only be offered accommodation with a catering package.

Early Departure from Accommodation

I am not happy living in accommodation and want to leave early, what do I have to do and what do I need to pay?

If you decide to leave within the first two weeks, you will be charged for the calendar days (including incomplete days) you have occupied the room including the period of any notice given.

Beyond  this two week period please see section 8 of your accommodation agreement.


Students Aged Under 18

Are there staff on site in the evenings and at weekends?

Yes, there will be sufficient residential staff on the premises to ensure the welfare and safety of resident students and the security of the premises.

I will be 17 when I start college, who will I be accommodated with?

Students aged 16 or 17 on 31st August 2020 will be housed separately to those 18+ and are subject to the Care Standards Act 2000 which gives operational guidance for their management.

Do I have to go home at the weekend? 

No, but if you wish to stay over the weekend, this must be agreed in advance with the staff responsible for the management as residents, their parents or carers and the staff responsible for the management of accommodation.

Newton Rigg College,
CA11 0AH
01768 893400