Special Effects,Theatrical and Media Make-Up Level 3
This is a qualification that has been specifically designed to develop your practical skills to an advanced level through a variety of techniques in the following units: media, fashion, photographic, special effects and camouflage make-up, creation and application of prosthetics and postiche and how to apply the complex skill of airbrushing.
To further enhance your skills and increase your employability opportunities, you will also have the opportunity to cover the following additional units in casting of bald caps and creative styling and dressing of hair. Learners also take part in a variety of educational visits and events throughout the year to enrich their studies.
Areas studied on the course include:
• Health and Safety practices in the salon
• Client care and communication
• Fashion and photographic make-up
• Application of airbrush make-up
• Camouflage make-up
• Media (special effects) make-up
• Styling and fitting postiche
• Creative hairdressing and styling techniques to include application of hair pieces and wigs.
Your learning package includes:
Level 3 Diploma in Theatrical, Special Effects and Hair & Media Make-up units.
Some units are delivered through blended learning packages and online support.
Candidates will be expected to work independently producing research material and assignments. Theory assessment will also include written examinations.
Candidates are required to provide their own models for all practical assessments.
Usually at least 4 GCSEs at grade C or above (new GCSE grading levels 4 to 9) to include any 2 from English, Maths and Science with at least a grade D in the remaining subject. Alternatively a suitable Level 2 vocational qualification (Merit or above) with English and Maths at Level 2
This Level 3 Diploma is suitable for:
• Applicants 19+ at enrolment must have a high level in English and Maths.
• Previous experience is desirable but not essential.
• All applicants will need home access to the Internet and satisfactory IT skills.
A level 2 Industry qualification in either Beauty Therapy, Hairdressing and Make Up is preferred. All applicants will be interviewed to judge their suitability for this programme.
On completion of the Level 3 Diploma, learners may wish to progress onto a higher education courses, such as L4, HNC and HND in Special Effects Make-up or Production Arts. Alternatively, progression into a career in the media and entertainment industry is possible.