CIEH Award in Emergency First Aid at Work
A one day Basic First Aid Course.
The Health and Safety (First Aid) Regulations 1981 place a general duty on employers to provide first aid treatment to employees within the workplace environment. The employer has overall responsibility for the risk assessment (assessment of first aid need) that will establish the level of first aid cover required. If, having assessed first aid needs, an employer decides to appoint first aiders, the first aiders must have a valid certificate of competence. First Aid certification must be renewed at least every three years. Information is available on the HSE website regarding assessment of first aid needs.
- Understand the roles and responsibilities of a first aider
- Assess an accident
- Manage an unresponsive casualty who is breathing normally
- Manage an unresponsive casualty, who is not breathing normally
- Recognise and assist a casualty who is choking
- Manage a casualty with external bleeding
- Manage a casualty who is in shock
- Manage a casualty with a minor injury.
- Candidates will undertake a practical assessment and a test paper as part of the course