Fees and Finance

The Higher Education tuition fee for new entrants is £6,000* per year across all Full-time Extended, Foundation, BSc and Top-up Degree courses, for part time students on Foundation Degrees the fee is £4,000, and for part-time Top-up degrees, £3,000. Here at Newton Rigg we think this represents tremendous value, as not only is this fee less than what you would pay in many other institutions, but also we have tremendous facilities for studying a land based degree.

If you’re a full-time student studying on your first higher education course, you can get a government loan for your tuition fees. It is important to remember that you don’t have
to pay for the cost of your tuition up front. The Government will provide the money up front for any eligible student in England who secures a place in higher education. You then take out a tuition loan which you only start to repay when you are working and earning more than £21,000 a year.

* Please note tuition fees may be subject to an annual increase.

Financial Help for Higher Education

There is a vast range of financial support available to Higher Education students. Some support is available to everyone; some is just available to particular groups. The support you receive is dependent on your personal circumstances. If you are applying for a higher education course, you should look at the financial help available and start applying straight away. Do not wait until you have a confirmed place on a course before applying. You can usually apply from May of the year in which you want to start your studies.

For further information on student finance visit:


and to register for financial support:


You can also get paper based applications by printing them from the Student Finance England website or from the College’s Student Support Services.

Tuition Fee Loans

No eligible student has to pay fees before they start a higher education course or while they are studying. Students can request a Tuition Fee Loan to cover all or part of the cost of the fees, however you will not have to pay this back until you have finished studying, and then only if you are working and earning more than £21,000 per year.

Interest on the loan is linked to inflation, so that what you repay will be worth what you borrowed.  All eligible students on their first HE course are entitled to a Tuition Fee Loan and it is not means tested. The Tuition Fee Loan is paid directly from the Student Loan Company to the College.

Tuition Fee Loans are also available for part-time students whose courses are at least 25 per cent of a full-time course each year (eg. four years part-time instead of one year full-time).

Maintenance Grants

New students may apply for a Maintenance Grant of up to £3250 a year. How much you get will depend on your income and that of your household. This is a Grant and does not need to be paid back.  It is only payable to full-time students.

A guide to how much Grant you could get:

HOW MUCH? - FULL £3250



The student Finance Calculator will help you to estimate how much you may be entitled to receive:


Maintenance Loans

The Student Loan for Maintenance is for help with your living costs such as accommodation, food, clothes, travel and so on.  The Maintenance Loan is repayable and the interest on the loan is linked to inflation. You only start repaying your loan after you have left university and are earning over £21,000 pa.
NOTE - if you already hold a UK honours degree you may not be eligible for this loan.  It is also not payable to part-time students.

Maximum Student Loans for Maintenance- Full-year rates

Students living away from their parents’ home and studying elsewhere. Up to £5,500
Students living at their parents’ home (London and elsewhere) Up to £4,375

Disabled Students Allowance

This can help pay for extra course related costs you may have as a result of your disability, mental health condition or specific learning difficulty. You will need to provide evidence of your condition such as a letter from your doctor or a specialist to support your application. You can apply at any time before or during your course, and how much you get does not depend on your income.

DSA can provide the following help to students: specialist equipment allowance, helpers allowance, general students’ allowance and travel allowance. If you have applied for a course at one of our centres and would like any further information or help applying for DSA, contact the Learning Support Office on 01904 772339 or alternatively there is an information guide on the following website:


Special Support Grants

If you are eligible to receive a Special Support Grant you will not be eligible to receive a Maintenance Grant. This grant can pay up to £3250, depending on your household income. It is intended to help with any course related costs you may have, for example, books and equipment. You may be eligible to receive a Special Support Grant instead of a Maintenance Grant if you:

  • Are a lone parent
  • Have a partner who is also a student - and one of you or both are responsible for a child
  • Have a disability /qualify for DSA
  • Have been treated as incapable of work for a continuous period
  • Are from abroad and entitled to an Income Support urgent cases payment because you are temporarily without funding
  • Are waiting to go back to a course having taken agreed time out because of an illness

Parents’ Learning Allowance

This helps with course related costs for full-time students with dependent children. How much you get is determined by your household income, you could receive up to £1,508 a year. To apply for this support you should complete section 9 of the PN1 form.

Adult Dependants’ Grant

If you have a partner or another adult member of your family who depends on you financially, you may be eligible for this help. You can receive up to £2,642 a year depending on your household income. To apply for this support you must complete section 9 of the PN1 form.

Childcare Grant

This grant is to help full-time students with dependent children in registered and approved childcare. You cannot get this grant if you claim the childcare element of the Working Tax Credit from the Inland Revenue. You can receive up to £255 a week. You can apply for the childcare grant using the form CCG1. If you have any money worries please seek advice from Student Support Services or an advice agency such as the Citizens Advice Bureau: www.citizensadvice.org.uk

*This information was current at the time of publication but may be subject to change without notice

Benefits for Higher Education Students on Low Incomes

Part-time students on a low income and certain groups of full-time students may be eligible for benefits. These include Income Support, Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit. Find out what you could get at:


Access to Learning Fund

The Access to Learning Fund can provide extra help if you’re in hardship and need extra financial support. The college will look at your individual circumstances, before deciding on whether there is funding to support you.  For more information see:



We are committed to supporting our students and we have a large range of scholarships available. Please contact student support services for information about how to apply.

« Back to previous page

Web Design by Bluestorm

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and have already been set. By using our site you accept the terms of our Privacy Policy.